Grey Towers, located in Milford, Pennsylvania, was originally the summer estate of the James Pinchot family and later the primary home of Gifford Pinchot, America´s first forester and founder of the USDA Forest Service.
Grey Towers was built in 1886 by James and Mary
Pinchot as a summer retreat. It was James who first recognized the
reckless destruction of natural resources that was overtaking the
nation in the 19th century. James encouraged his eldest son Gifford
to consider a career in forestry, thus introducing the idea of
conservation to America.
Gifford Pinchot went on to establish and serve
as the first Chief
of the US Forest Service, and he was twice elected Governor of Pennsylvania.
Between family, friends and political associates, Grey Towers was
always bustling with activity and was central
to advancing the Pinchots´ social, political and conservation ideals.
In 1963 the Pinchot family donated Grey Towers and its surrounding 102 acres to the US Forest Service.
Grey Towers Heritage Association (GTHA) supports the efforts of the US Forest Service
and maintain the estate´s historic integrity, to continue the
tradition of Pinchot hospitality and to strengthen Grey Towers´
connection to our community. GTHA helps support public
programs that tell the interesting story of how one family
helped shape our nation´s thinking about conservation.
- Conservation and arts programs
- Musical, visual and literary events
- Public walks and talks
- Interpretive mansion tours
- Conservation education, schools and youth programs
For more information visit the website of Grey Towers
National Historic Site, www.fs.fed.us/gt.